Saturday 8 March 2008

GI’ME A BREAK!

Add to Google Reader or Homepage


I wish I could jump out of my car and scream on top of my voice, “come on! Give me a Break!” I am getting sick of the typical Indian Attitudes - the lack of civic sense, taking pride in violating a law, total demonstration of indiscipline everywhere and you keep counting them! In just a journey of 5 km for 20 minutes, I was pushed to think so!

At times I question myself, “Do our education system really impart the basic things of life in our minds?” If so, why my brethren behave like this? Why can’t they be disciplined enough?” “Haven’t they followed those lessons or they failed to understand them?” If they are doing it despite being aware that what they do is wrong, then they deserve a severe punishment. Don’t they?

Had you ever traveled on Indian roads, you would have made out why I am so pissed off? Invariably, every morning and evening, if one measured their pulse rate immediately after driving; sure he would skip his beat! I would like to list some of the common things one can observe in India.

  • Irrespective of the place, if they see a wall, they will defecate. (Thank God it’s only Men)
  • If they came across a wall corner, (joining of two walls), they have to spit.
  • Spitting is common. I do not need to find a spot for this. I can spit anywhere, anytime!
  • If you are on a two wheeler, never go on the sides of the buses. You may never know when those passengers inside the bus will spit or vomit uninformed.
  • India follows right-hand drive; still, if you find vehicles coming onto you in your lane, the road does not have barriers.
  • Better take ear-plugs with you. Honking is common.
  • In a narrow bridge / road, if vehicles get struck, people would never wait. They will proceed in all possible gaps leading to bigger traffic chaos!
  • Never stop on a red-light. If did so, be ready to take the curse of the driver behind you. Or be ready to bear the expenses for damaging your vehicle back.
  • The traffic lights are superfluous! We never follow.
  • Helmets are hindrance and not meant for safety! Our Courts (Pune) say so!
  • We neither have lanes nor discipline
  • Loitering is my birth right.
  • Why should I buy a ticket to travel in the local train? Government has more money!
  • Railway track-gates are meant to be given a go-by!
  • Temples are everywhere
  • People can stop on the way to start praying / worshipping without minding the traffic chaos they create!
  • Dogs of the rich will shit only on the public roads.



I love my country more than anything else. That is the reason, these deeds irritate me! The irony is, one can find all these acts are performed by rural & urban, literate and illiterate, rich and the poor.


In India, we have more temples than toilets. We are generous when matters to temples and Gods but would never spare a penny to build toilets. We feel that laws are binding us rather but fail to realize that laws protect us. However, if something wrong happened to self, we scream on top of our voice elaborating the manner in which systems collapsed!


When I was young, I remember “Moral Instructions” as a part of our curriculum. Somehow, our HRD ministry thought this is no longer required for us!


We are notorious in adapting “holier than thou” concept. We are concerned only when it matters to us. We have lost the sight of seeing things in national perspective. I do not know when we will realize. The same attitude is being passed on from generations to generations. Only GOD can save India!









2 comments:

  1. This problem is inherent in Indian society. And the primary reason is dissatisfaction of a large mass of population. It is a poor country and you have to accept that. The basic necessities are not met. People are frustrated. Every one is irritated for some reason or the other. And that's why you can't expect people to behave in a civic manner. Apart from people like us, other people are not taught to behave in a civic manner. First thing that comes to their mind is survival. Everything else is secondary in this country. And if you are comparing it with US, don't even try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. At the outset, thank you for your comment.

    Nope. I am not comparing our country with US. for that matter, i have not visited US yet. However, i have visited some AFrican countries where the economical condition is still worse than our country.

    Our country is the safest, i would say but pertaining to civic manner, we are the worst, i feel so. This has nothing to do with survival questions. Even the so-caled educated lot, rich ones also do behave in this manner that worries me.

    ReplyDelete

Tax Terrorism - How far is it true?

If you or me, a common man or citizen of the country, whose tax is deducted at source failed to file returns, we are taken to task. It even ...