Wednesday 29 August 2007

Meditation my way

Spiritual quotient is the buzz word of the modern day management.


No doubt Indian gurus mint money all over the world spreading the spiritual management to the corporates and also doing yeomen service.


Yoga, Pranayama, Meditation and list goes on and on. Newspapers, magazines, websites invariably all of them carry pages of reports on teh benefits of these to common people. More so, the bigger corporates insists on practicing this and are getting benefited in this.


"why dont you try it! its amazing!" my pal shared. I never dared to ask him whether had he tried it or not for what would he think about me! Perhpas this may be worth trying and i am a novice who is unaware of what meditation is let alone its benefits.


I have seen my boss used to go on a meditation spree after his lunch for 30 minutes in his cabin and we are not supposed to disturb him. My neighbor also persuaded me to join him in meditation. till then i never knew that meditation could be done in a joint venture.


Influenced by various temptations, i decided to give it a try. i started gathering books, cds on meditation. I wanted to try it myself initially before paying some one else. The fees were exhorbitant is another reason.


One fine sunday afternoon after a delicious dinner i spread the mat on the hall. My wife instructed me to use the Vaccum cleaner on which a spider had spun a web (while this was supposed to be remover of cob-webs). i said not now. some time later. i wanna meditate so dont disturb.


My wife was perplexed. "what meditation and you? how can you do that without proper guidance! its not as easy as you think. now shelf this idea and start using this vaccum cleaner!"

I thought she is more worreid about her house-hold chores and not allowing me to do meditation.


I ignored her advice and proceeded further. I sat in padmasana. (what a tough posture) as i could not sit in that position for no longer than a minute, i simply sat with my legs crossed. I closed my eyes and started to focus on the blank screen that i imagined.


I was distrubed by my son who was playing his key-board. I gave him exemption for that day and asked him to go and play. I started my exercise again. I tried to focus the blank screen. Now i drew an imaginary blot on the screen and tried to focus it. now i felt as if i am slowly entering meditation.


I did not know how long i meditated till then my wife shook me and said, "what happened to you! since when you started sleeping in afternoons that too in sitting posture?"

No need to mention that was the last day i tried meditating.

2 comments:

  1. Anirudh Kumar Satsangi27 November 2009 at 21:08

    COMPREHENSIVE VIEW OF SCIENCE OF RELIGION (THEOLOGY)
    A Scientific Understanding of Meditation and Yoga

    In Bhagavad-Gita Lord SriKrishna says to Arjun:
    “I taught this immortal Yoga to Vivasvan (sun-god), Vivasvan conveyed it to Manu(his son), and Manu imparted it to (his son) Iksvaku. Thus transmitted to succession from father to son, Arjun, this Yoga remained known to the Rajarisis (royal sages). It has however long since disappeared from this earth. The same ancient Yoga has this day been imparted to you by Me, because you are My devotee and friend, and also because this is a supreme secret”.

    Yoga (Application) which was based on the control of the body physically and implied that a perfect control over the body and the senses led to knowledge of the ultimate reality. A detailed anatomical knowledge of the human body was necessary to the advancement of yoga and therefore those practising yoga had to keep in touch with medical knowledge. (Romila Thapar, A History of India, volume one).

    I suggest : Mind and brain are two distinct things. Brain is anatomical entity whereas mind is functional entity. Mind can be defined as the function of autonomic nervous system (ANS). It is claimed that mind can be brought under conscious control through the practice of meditation. But how? ANS is largely under hypothalamic control which is situated very close to optic chiasma (sixth chakra or ajna chakra). Protracted practice of concentration to meditate at this region brings functions of ANS say mind under one’s conscious control.

    Although Danah Zohar has coined the term Spiritual Quotient for the first time but she did not establish any mathematical relationship for this. Without establishing mathematical relationship spiritual intelligence can not be termed as spiritual quotient.

    Deepak Chopra has given a formula of spiritual quotient in terms of Deed (D) and Ego (E). According to Deepak Chopra S.Q.=D/E. According to him if E is ‘zero’ the S.Q. will be infinite. This appears to be very fascinating but it is highly abstract which can not be measured experimentally accurately and precisely. However, this formula has immense value to understand S.Q.

    I have also discovered a mathematical relationship for S.Q about eight years back in 2001. I have used physiological parameters which can be measured accurately and precisely and can be tested and verified experimentally. According to this formula S.Q. can be expressed as the ratio of parasympathetic dominance (P.D.) to sympathetic dominance (S.D.). Parasympathetic nervous system (PSNS) and sympathetic nervous system (SNS) are the two parts of the autonomic nervous system (ANS) which is largely under hypothalamic control. Hypothalamus is situated very close to the Sixth Chakra. During practice of meditation at Sixth Chakra these centres are galvanized which has very positive effect on practitioners spiritual, emotional, psychological and physical well being.

    According to this relationship spiritual quotient can be written as:

    S.Q. = P.D./S.D.

    If the value of S.Q. comes >1 (greater than one), it can be assumed that the person is moving towards self-realisation and if the value of S.Q. comes <1 (smaller than one) it can be predicted that the person is living under stress.

    This formula can be tested and verified experimentally.

    ReplyDelete

Tax Terrorism - How far is it true?

If you or me, a common man or citizen of the country, whose tax is deducted at source failed to file returns, we are taken to task. It even ...