Thursday 30 August 2007

Sharpen your axe

Karan and Arjun were woodcutters working in a forest. Both were under a contract in which they were paid a lump sum amount for the period of 1 year for felling trees.

During the time of contract renewal, Arjun was paid an increment of 12% as his fees and Karan was given an increment of only 5%.

Karan went to the boss and questioned this.

The boss replied, "I agree. In the initial days, both of you used to fell 3-4 trees a day. Slowly you could fell only 2 trees and Arjun still continues to fell 3-4 trees."

Karan was furious and went out. He went with vigor and started felling trees however; he could not fell more than 2. He was surprised. How is that I cannot fell more than 2 while Arjun does.

In fact he even takes breaks during the day while I do not. He went to Arjun and asked the reason.

Arjun replied, "Yes. I do take breaks but during the breaks, I used to sharpen my axe! That’s why I could still fell 3-4 trees. When was the last time you sharpened your axe?"

Moral: Keep sharpening your axe (tool of earning). We stop studying after schools but our education starts only after employment. The man who stops learning stops progressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tax Terrorism - How far is it true?

If you or me, a common man or citizen of the country, whose tax is deducted at source failed to file returns, we are taken to task. It even ...